Tuesday, November 17, 2009

It has begun

... the mad dash to get all the Christmas gifts finished. Six weeks. Six weeks! You've got to be kidding! I have 8 children! Katie at matsutake says it best here. I know this is normal for many, but this is my first ALL handmade Christmas. The past two years, the children have made handmade gifts for each other while Ben and I have always purchased our gifts.

Not this year.

Not ever!

We are consumers no more (not totally, but you understand).

No, I have taken the handmade pledge and gosh darn it, I mean it!

I have found many resources to help with ideas for handmade gifts.

See, the list is almost endless.

And yet distraction still manages to weasle in...

this is the first Christmas thing I have made.



It turned out better than I expected. It makes me so happy when that happens!

What's that you say?

"But it's not a gift!!! What about your list, Kandyce? What about your 8 children and 10 nieces and nephews, Kandyce? What about your Mother, Grandmother, Great Grandmother (yes, she's still around), in-laws, and friends, Kandyce?!!!!"

SHUT UP!!!!

I have a plan!

1. Some friends and I are having children-less meetings once a week from now till Christmas to get any covert crafting done.

2. The kids and I are schooling the first half of the day and crafting the second.

And...

3. I have back up, quick and easy gifts just in case.

See, it's all under control, right? Right!?

anyone...



p.s. check out GardenMama's wonderful, new giveaway. Now, that is something worth buying (if you don't win!)

4 comments:

  1. http://www.gardenmama.typepad.comNovember 18, 2009 at 11:51 AM

    This work of your hands is absolutely stunning!!!
    Exquisite work mama!
    The flowers have floored me, I love it!
    Do you have eight kids or eight to buy for?
    Good for you on having a handmade Christmas, this is how we like to do it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness!! Thank you so much for the precious words! I am so very pleased with the outcome :)

    I do, in fact, have eight kids ranging in age from 13 to 4mths, all birthed naturally by yours truly. Not that that matters, but people usually ask :)

    I love my large family, but it definitely makes a handmade holiday extremely time consuming. But, I wouldn't have it any other way :).

    These pictures were taken just yesterday, per my oldest' request. The quality isn't good, but my camera is in the shop and I took it with my cell phone. I included two, because its hard to get one good picture with 8 squirmy people ;)

    blessings,

    Kandyce

    p.s. I just ordered raw beeswax!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to find a tutorial for the roses I made. This( http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/felt_rose_ring )is the closest I could find. I didn't use a needle and tread, only the glue gun. And I also used a shape more like a half circle. They are much easier than they look :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.gardenmama.typepad.comNovember 18, 2009 at 3:13 PM

    Kandyce! You are so sweet : ) Thank you for your kind response and for the tutorial!
    I just had to come back and check the comments to see if you had eight children : ) What a blessing to have so much joy in your home, what a beautiful photo! Your children are absolutely gorgeous and all look like they are beaming with happiness! I am off to check out the tutorial!! xo

    ReplyDelete