Monday, August 17, 2009

Creating

I live in a house full of artist. It is a dream come true that my children love to create as much, if not more, than I do. My eldest son asked me if he would be as good an artist as I am when he is my age. How sweet! I had to tell him that he already blows me out of the water.

This next one is by my second son, who could walk/run at 8 months, but whose fine motor skills took their time in developing.
I think they've more than caught up.

A few weeks ago, I thought I'd try out an idea I saw in The Creative Family by SouleMama Amanda Blake Soule. She transfers her children's drawings onto fabric and has the child embroider on the lines. She then makes a pillow out of it. Like so...
Such a fun and successful project! Not to mention providing hours of work for busy little hands. These pictures are very simple. Now that we know what we are doing, I think we will try slightly more complicated pictures the next time. I really love these pillows and am pretty sure they are going on our "Christmas gifts for others" list. Which btw, is around the corner! This handmade pledge is adding a new dimension of stress to the holidays. But I am excited and up for the challenge. At least today.

4 comments:

  1. Oh boys...your drawings are so beautiful and make me miss you all so much! I would love to come over for some art time. I LOVE the pillows. You all can give Ari art lessons next summer when we come to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Nelsons! Very nice work on the drawing and the pillows. I should come along for the art lessons since my free hand drawing is on par with a four year old. Actually, my non-free hand drawing is pretty bad, too. On that note, my coloring is just plain bad. . . ooooh those darn lines!

    All jokes aside. I love the artwork. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bird drawings are amazing! Your kids are so talented and creative.....just like mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely that your children are expressing themselves in such a beautiful creative way!
    I love the way the pillows came out!

    ReplyDelete