Monday's project is done:
This project has taken me a few weeks to finish. Before I tell you what I did, let me explain what this odd little framed quilt with buttons is for. Over the holidays, Garden Mama created the beautiful blog, the Wellness Tree Project that inspired many of you to make handmade ornaments to send to me and my family. These ornaments (over 50!) lifted our spirits and really made me feel how many women are out there praying and hoping the best for me and my family. I was so touched by these little creations, that I just couldn't put them away after the holidays. My husband and I agreed that we would find ways to display all of them--they really are works of art.
The first idea I had was to use simple vine wreaths that could really be for any season. Ornaments now hang permanently on the glass doors that open between our family room and dining room. Here is the bird wreath:
And the outdoors, little critters wreath:
Our son loves for us to hold him up to see each ornament. He especially loves the owls (he was an owl for Halloween if you remember) and ringing the bell dangling from that wonderful blue bird at the top of the first wreath. I am planning on making some kind of children's wreath or some other display for the ornaments made by children or that are especially child-like (a sweet, tiny little sweater, for example). There are so many more ornaments!
The idea for today's project came to me when I was thinking about how I could rotate different ornaments and other wonderful things above my desk. On a framed quilt with buttons, of course:The project was simple: find an inexpensive frame and paint it until you like it. I like to prop up anything I'm painting on cans. I started with a grayish color, then decided to try a product that promised a crackle finish. It was a strange texture--kind of like plaster. I put on vinyl gloves and just smeared it on. It did crackle, while also looking a little like stucco. I really wanted to try liquid silver leaf, so I painted that on next with the sea sponge (the silver leaf was the original main idea that came from our theme). When that dried, it was a little too shiny, so on went the gloves and more plaster paint. The second coat didn't crackle as much, but I liked the old, peeling-paint look.
I made the quilt top using Moda Turnovers (which reminds me, check out fresh squeezed fabrics on Etsy for really wonderful fabrics!). I am a beginner, so I just "stitch in the ditch" and sometimes it's more like stitching up onto the curb. When I was done, I rummaged through my jar of vintage buttons and added eight across the quilt. Now I have the perfect place to hang my new handmade treasures from.