Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A New Leaf...

When Kelly and I first had the idea for this blog, it was with the intent to have a monthly theme that would challenge our creative sensibilities. We wanted to see what each of us could come up with given a loose idea and carte blanche. We were temporarily side tracked by cancer, but we are grateful to be back on task and ready to go. So, our theme for this first month of the new year is A New Leaf. This can be interpreted as literal or as figurative as one chooses. We aren't big on rules :) For instance, my first post on theme is this...

Now you are probably wondering what do these lowly, albeit, lovely pine cones have to do with A New Leaf. Well, just look here...

(pic above taken by KT)

This was made this weekend by KT. She saw a picture of one online and has been formulating a plan for weeks. She finally got up the courage to deconstruct a pine cone and start at it. I especially love the progression. This flower was her first attempt. I thought it was beautiful. I thought it was amazing. I thought it couldn't be topped, until...

And they kept getting better...

She has only made three so far, but there are plans.




So you see, to me these qualify as A New Leaf.
A loose interpretation, perhaps, but a valid interpretation no less. So please join us and share with us if you do. We'd love to hear about it.

Here's to new beginnings!

P.S. If you comment on this post you will be entered in a drawing for our first giveaway!
The winner will receive one of KT's beautiful pine cone rose hair clips.
Pass it on!

P.P.S. If you came directly to this post via a link, be sure to click on the "notions & threads" in the header and check out our latest projects!

29 comments:

  1. Seriously? I have to follow this? How will I make anything this beautiful? Well done, KT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice going Kathryn! Those are awesome . . .they look like they could be included in the susan cockburn collection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are pinecones? Wow. Absolutely Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is gorgeous!!!
    I love the way the blog looks and am excited about your new ideas and crafty challenges!
    I will certainly be posting about this : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so gorgeous. What a way to transform one thing into another. Just lovely

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so lovely! I have to go collect some pinecones, after our snow melts or I'll never be able to find them! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan Tierney CockburnJanuary 6, 2010 at 4:57 PM

    I love KT made these from pinecones; something we have in abundance of in the Pacific Northwest. So creative and inspirational. Here's to a New Leaf!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely creations. Who would've thought... a pinecone. I would love to try a "leaf" at this.

    :)Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Shanda,

    Make sure to post pics when you find those pinecones and make some roses!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please do, Lisa! I would love to see your pinecone roses or anything else you may create that you think falls under "New Leaf".
    We really hope to see all kinds of ideas from people. Thank you for comin' over :)

    Kan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you! I'm quite the proud mama! Did I mention she's only 13?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Nicole for your sweet words :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are rather amazing, aren't they? I have a wonderfully creative daughter :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know. She's a tough act to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely amazing. My eyes just grew bigger with each creation.
    Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  16. those are so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. these are positively beautiful! now i know what to do with all those pinecones i picked up off the side of the road.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kandyce, the transformation from pinecones to beautiful flowers is very creative. Kudos to your very talented daughter!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  19. Susan @ Farmgirl FareJanuary 12, 2010 at 6:53 AM

    I love these! What a beautiful idea. A new leaf, indeed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I cannot believe that is a pinecone. Simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pure beauty! I adore these! What talent!

    ReplyDelete
  22. They're beautiful!

    earthycrunchy.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh so lovely, oh so brilliant, oh so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  24. gretchen from lifenutJanuary 16, 2010 at 7:19 AM

    These clips are simply stunning! Your daughter is gifted.

    Thank you for the lovely email.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those are gorgeous! How creative you are! My uncle, who is a carver, makes ducks and uses eggshells for the feathers...he dyes them various colors and uses twezers to place them on the ducks...I did not get his creativness! Thanks for sharing this with us in blogland!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are just lovely. I have used pinecones in many a craft but never like this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have no words... what you created is simply gorgeous....

    ReplyDelete