Monday, February 1, 2010

February's Theme - Peace and Solitude

As you might be able to imagine, I , with 8 children don't have a whole lot of solitude. I don't have a whole lot of peace, in the most traditional sense, either. And being an introvert (someone who is drained by crowds) this can pose a bit of a challenge. I have learned that to be the mother, wife, daughter, friend, (human) everyone, including myself, deserves, I must make time to get some peace and solitude to recharge. I have found that, for me, the best way is to get up before the sun (and the children) and pray. Since the baby was born, I have heavily resisted this. I would stay up late, recharging and then sleep in. It has made for days too chaotic for this introvert to handle. I was inspired by this post at Earth Mama.

She helped me to remember.

The next morning it was I who first greeted brother sun.


It is amazing how quickly the night turns to day. This month of the year, February, is especially precious. It is the calm before the storm.  The storm of the spring, which brings baseball, field trips, park days... the storm that brings rain, wet, mud... the storm that brings life! I love the storm, but I need this calm. In the larger sense, it rejuvenates this introvert for the rest of the year. This last of the Winter, without the holly, jolly pulls of the holiday season and the call for change of the new year is a time peace and solitude.

I hope it fills you.


The winner of our first giveaway is Francheska of bella's grace!

12 comments:

  1. I like the change in layout. I also like the theme of the month. I too needed peace and solitude this morning. I filled my need with a little stroll in my neighborhood which I captured in my blog. http://krigek.blogspot.com. Sunrises are special, but my bed calls more. Enjoy your recharge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless you! I only have three and I know what you mean about finding some peace. Quiet is my friend, but it is hard to find with small ones running about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful Kandyce! It is so amazing how quickly the sun rises, yet it is always magnificent to witness. A new birth...everyday!

    :)Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your new banner!
    It certainly is soothing to wake with the sun and to watch that transition.
    The last time I did that intentionally was during advent, I lit our advent spiral candles and like you watched a new day come to be, sitting in solitude by myself and the birds that greeted the new day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still remember my graduate school days when I would wake up at 5am to write my final project before working at a daycare. It was such a productive, peaceful time that made me feel like I was taking care of myself. I love the candle meditation on Earth Mama's site right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmmmm...peace and solitude???? Can't even imagine it, although it sounds nice. And, let me add to all those with children under 18...don't think it's going to come when they move out because the worries just keep coming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those bed calls are powerful things! If I didn't need it so, I'd be right there with ya. Well, not literally... Thank you, Katherine. We like the changes, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quiet is an elusive friend, that's for sure :) God bless you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Lisa, for your comments and your inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It really is so calming. This morning I met a friend for coffee at 6am! That was new. It was so different to be up and out before the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was so much easier to take care of ourselves before we had others to take care of :) It's good we have the past to remind us what we needed even at a time when life was, in many ways, simpler.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can imagine the worries must get worse, because your children aren't at home for you to watch over... great...

    ReplyDelete