Saturday, October 31, 2009

Owl Costume Sneak Peek

I finally finished Ari's Halloween costume last night and thought I'd share it with you this morning since it will be awhile until I can actually put it on him. Here's the back story: I asked Ari what he wanted to be for Halloween about a month ago. A cow? A dog? Moo Moo? Woof? I asked my then 15 month old. "WHoo WHoo," he said. I asked him a few more times this month and each time he made an owl sound.

So my crafty mama, who is living with us while I go through chemo, bought a really inexpensive brown hoodie sweatshirt and sheets of felt in white, brown, yellow, orange, black, and a light tan. She made the eyes and beak, which she sewed onto the hood along with some cute feathered tufts to give the owl a little expression (she also added a dot in each eye for a twinkle--love her attention to detail). My mom than cut out a ton of feathers and put me on sewing duty. All I had to do is make an X with doubled up embroidery thread and tie it off in the back. Very easy for this beginner sewer and a perfect job for someone who has to sit around and get a lot of rest. If we want to, we can cut the Xs and take the feathers off to use the sweatshirt, but really, why would we want to do that! Here's the front view:


And here's the back view:


So, I'm off to a morning of chemo before Halloween festivities. Thankfully, I feel great on chemo days so I'll be able to enjoy the day. I also have this wonderful little pumpkin hat to keep me warm. My friend Meg's mom-in-law made it for me and I just love it (Meg sent a ton of goodies that got the whole family in the Halloween spirit--did I mention she had a baby 2 weeks before the care package arrived?!)

3 comments:

  1. The costume is great! I love it. It is so precious. I can't wait to see it on him. I also love your pumpkin hat. Have a Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ari is a such a smart little boy so the "wise" Owl was a great choice that he made. I love the feathers and the face of the Owl. I heard Ari was so excited to see it. I can't wait to see him in it. I love your pumpkin hat too. How sweet of your friend, Meg!
    Happy Halloween! Wish we were there too. Hoot! Hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a FABULOUS costume! I always love finding fellow crafters and look forward to following you!

    ReplyDelete